Friday, March 15, 2013

posts from the field

In and around town: a visit to the Theater with G's class.  
I took some notes...visual notes of sorts.


After we had all gathered in the class we walked to the local bus stop to take the  local cross-town bus to the theater in mid-town. It was not a bad bus ride at all. We sang some songs to distract ourselves from the tedious nature of the ride.
It felt long as we had a bit of a stop on the route and everyone was anxious to get there.  G was feeling a little sick after the ride though.  Part of it was anticipation, part of it was feeling jittery about it all, he loves the theater and all its excitement, but as I said, the bus ride felt long. Had to sneak in some crackers & a bit of cheese before we went into the Theater, but there was no time for a proper snack. We had arrived just in time.

The Theater. The children were bouncing with excitement, hardly able to contain themselves before they were ushered into the theater itself. The children had met several of the performers earlier in the week as they had done a class visit to show the children their instruments and talk about their passion for music.
During the show, as he snuggled up against me, G whispered to me that he wanted to learn how to play the Double Bass. He had simply fallen in love with it.  When the musicians came out after the performance, he was right there, soaking in all he could. His desire to learn to play was so very clear. 
However, he may need to start with the Cello first as I am pretty sure that is where you have to start when you are his age. I don't think the Double Bass comes in G's size.  I think it would be lovely for him to learn how to play an instrument, really good for him in so many ways, but he has an adventurer's heart so I wonder if he will be able to commit to it in the long term.  I never learned how to play an instrument, though I have often wished I had.

Sometimes I think our vision of greener  pastures for our own children is often not what they are envisioning at all, so I always want to tread lightly and not completely overlay my dreams onto their own.
xo








No comments:

Post a Comment